J-1 Visa Questions

Visa Status Questions

You need to contact the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Their Customer Service public number is: (800) 375-5283.  

SEVIS Registration Questions

You should contact your J-1 program sponsor. Your sponsor is responsible for assisting and advising you on all matters regarding your J-1 exchange visitor program.  

Social Security Card Questions

You should contact the Social Security Administration.  

J-1 Visa Emergency Hotline:

1-866-283-9090 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) The Department of State activated the helpline to ensure the health and safety of its exchange participants. Students have a right to be treated fairly and to report abuse without retaliation or threat of program cancellation.

Report Abuse, Exploitation or Other Issues

If you are mistreated or your rights are violated, call these toll-free numbers:
  • J-1 Visa Emergency Hotline: 1-866-283-9090
  • National Human Trafficking Resource Center: 1-888-373-7888
  • Trafficking in Persons and Worker Exploitation Task Force: 1-888-428-7581
If you are in immediate physical danger, call 911. Know your rights: Report Abuse, Exploitation or Other Issues (PDF)

The Office of Designation

Press & Media Inquiries

TEL number: (202) 632-6445 Email:

Website Problems

To report problems with the website, please complete this form.